Sunday, November 9, 2008

..because English is a very phunny language!

Like most, I too have always wondered what is the ideal way to begin a blog. And like most, I still do not have a clue. However, I have procrastinated enough to procrastinate again, and here I am once more, without a clue as to what is going to follow this sentence.

I stopped there for about 3 minutes, before continuing to write this line. I have a list of topics I want to blog on, ranging from daily events, acute to obtuse observations, my personal take on cricket (which I have longed to do), to writing short tips on anything that crosses my mind.

I was suddenly reminded of Amitabh's "I can walk English, I can talk English, I can laugh English because English is a very phunny language. Bhairon becomes barren and barren becomes Bhairon because their minds are very narrow..." (wont list the full dialogue here, as you might already know it or can google it if you are that interested) and thought why not that be the title and the content of my first post? Voila, here I am finally with the thoughts in full flow.

I just planned to list some of my favourite English phrases. They border on being PJs (poor/pakau jokes, not pajamas!), nevertheless, worth a read. I hope they appeal to you just as they did to me.

Not all sentences make grammatical sense, but they are well worth a laugh. Here are the Wonder Phrases!

  • Is bar hopping, a joint venture?
  • How much do you save when you get a free gift?
  • Why are a slim chance and a fat chance the same?
  • Have you noticed that it is in the rush hour, that the traffic moves the slowest!
  • There is no place to lie down, in a public rest room.
  • Do undertakers work in a graveyard shift?
  • Ever wondered why noses run and feet smell?
  • I’d love to take a crash course in flying.
  • Why do people say bye bye and not hello hello?
  • Why are wise man and wise guy opposites?
  • If ‘pros’ and ‘cons’ are supposed to be opposites, is prostitution the opposite of constitution?
  • When guests leave your dinner party, are they fed up?
  • ‘Needless to say’ is always followed up with something said.
  • Do you bite your tongue, when you say something tongue in cheek?
  • Are we sound asleep when we snore?
  • Shouldn’t the bride be marrying the best man?
  • Would you buy a dead battery, free of charge?
  • A will is a dead giveaway.
  • Do people actually sit down during the day and sit up late at night?
  • Should we use the ring finger to press the doorbell?
  • What is the difference between new and brand new?

English is a 'punny' language and I love to identify the subtlety in it. I am all ears for those, who like me, have an eye for detail. Feedback will be well taken, however, criticism will be shunned and insulted! Awaiting your comments!

5 comments:

Shama said...

:D That's sharp! And congratulations on your first post :) What else you got?

Unknown said...

Congrats saar for starting the blogging thingy ... me started off recently lets hopes it is not a fad :)

have seen some of your observations as your gtalk messages before :)

English is a phunny language too bad the brits are too stiff upper lip to admit tat .... jolly good start my lad ... keep it up

Anonymous said...

on the evidence of this one entry, it can be surmised that this dynasty has a glorious future.
:)

Arvind said...

Thanks Shama. Do come back for more. Have a few things up my sleeve, lets see how it goes.

Ganesh, thanks for your inputs da. Hope we blog regularly in parallel..:-)

And Varun, thanks for your encouraging comments! I hope this blog can keep up the promise it shows!

Khalil Sawant said...

Pros opposite on Cons
So Congress being the opposite of Progress